St. Stephen's Cathedral is the emblem of Vienna and the most important work of Gothic architecture in Austria, home to a collection of art treasures, some of which can only be viewed as part of a guided tour.
This includes the sepulcher of Emperor Frederick III, made of red marble and built by Niclas Gerhaert van Leyden between 1467 and 1513; the pulpit built by Anton Pilgram in about 1500 and also his organ podium (1513) in the north side aisle (both works feature a self-portrait of the artist).
Also of interest: the "Wiener Neustadt Altar", a Gothic winged altar dating from 1447; the 1754 tomb of Prince Eugene of Savoy; and least we forget, the ornate carvings on pillars both inside and outside the cathedral.
Tip: Climb the 343 steps up to the tower keeper's room and enjoy the magnificent views...
A 20-minute walk from Hotel Tyrol.
1st District, Stephansplatz U1, U3: Stephansplatz
Tel. 515 52 - 3526